f you have followed the instructions in the previous post (click HERE), your Autumn Hedge Planting duties are done until spring arrives. Of course you will need to water and keep the area weed free – but the mulch will help with the former and should take care of the latter.
When spring arrives:
1. Top dress with a general purpose fertilizer
2. In late spring nip out the ‘leader’ and clip the sides to make the hedge fuller. The hedge will put up a new leader within a short time.
3. Support plants that are rocked by wind
4. Water frequently, especially during dry spells
5. Keep this up for 2-3 years by when the hedging plants should be established
Picture: Watering in a newly planted Yew hedge