If you have followed the simple guidelines for planting, a new hedge needs little further attention – but it can’t be neglected. During the first few years…
1. Keep the area around your hedging plants weed-free. Use mulch to suppress weeds and retain moisture (Pic. above)
2. Top dress annually in the spring / summer with a general purpose fertilizer until fully established
3. In late spring nip out the ‘leader’ and clip the sides to make the hedge fuller. The hedge will put up a new leader within a short time.
4. Support plants that are rocked by wind
5. Water frequently, especially during dry spells