If you can only find room for one variety of Lavender in your garden, here’s why Lavender Grosso should be at the top of your list…
• Lavender Grosso is the most fragrant of all Lavenders. Perfumers use words like ‘fruity’, ‘eucalyptus fresh’, ‘sweet’, ‘aromatic’ and ’warm’ to describe it
• Grosso is the perfect Lavender for gardeners who like a sense of geometric order in their garden as its thick, tapered and subtly blue-grey-green foliage grows in naturally compact mounds that require only minor trimming to keep their dome-like shape.
In fact, Grosso has a unique attribute among Lavenders – it grows wider than tall and those domes can reach 90 cm across
• Its flower heads are exceptionally long – 7 cm to 15 cm – and up to 2.5 cm wide and remain on the stem longer than most other lavender varieties. They make excellent cut flowers
• Grosso is one of the tallest Lavender varieties with flower spikes reaching up to 60 cm
• The flowers themselves are a glorious violet, subtly tinged with pale blue and green
And in case you think we’re over-egging the pudding, it must be said that the strength of Lavender Grosso’s fragrance means it is not the first choice of chefs looking to add a subtle hit of lavender into their puddings.
We hope you’re tempted and in our next post we’ll demonstrate just how easy it is to grow Lavender ‘Grosso’…